Stolen Mail a Leading Cause of ID Theft
Identity theft is the fastest growing crime in the United States for the past 10 years, and affects over 10 million Americans each year. Mail theft is a common way that identity thieves can steal your identity, and the 60 million unlocked mailboxes in the US offer a treasure trove of opportunity for would-be identity thieves. Victims of mail theft often do not realize they have been victimized until their credit record and good name is ruined. Remedying the outcomes of fraud and identity theft requires thousands of dollars and hours of your time. This section provides information about the prevalence of mail and identity theft, and the precautions you can take to protect yourself and your name.
Identity Theft on the Rise
Did You Know?
- More than 1 in 20 Americans are victims of ID theft each year
- ID theft is the fastest growing crime in the nation
- Only 35% of ID theft victims know how their info was compromised
- The majority of known ID theft is perpetuated via low-tech methods: stolen wallets, stolen mail and stolen trash.
- Mail theft is highly under-reported because most people don’t realize when their mail has been stolen
Mail-Identity Theft Maps
Click on a marker to view the incident and learn more.
|Mail theft warning|
|Mail-ID theft arrest|
December 2015 thru February 2016
Mail Identity Theft & Consumer Information
- Mail Theft Monday-February
Sunday, February 4: Fort Bragg, NC: Daily Journal Local News – Men Arrested with Heroin Stolen Mail; “The men reportedly were in the pro
- Mail Theft Monday – 1/15/2018
Here at Mail Boss, we love giving you pointers regarding ways to prevent mail theft. Unfortunately, mail theft isn’t the only concern. Another m
- New Year, New Mail Theft!
Even though the big holiday season is over, that doesn’t stop mail thieves from wanting to steal your mail year-round. Here are some tips from U
- Mail Theft Monday – 12/26/2017
Florida man, Bend woman charged in mail, ID thefts Mail found scattered over five miles of Ward Road BEND, Ore. – Mail scattered along miles of
- Having difficulty deciding on the right mailbox?
Luke Walker December 21, 2017 Curb Appeal,Mail & Identity Theft,Mail Boss Features,Mail Boss Installation,Other Locking Mailboxes,Product: Mail Boss,Product: Mail Manager,Product: Package Master,Product: Wall Mount,Security Products
Let our handy reference guide help you choose the perfect mailbox. Here at Mail Boss, we get questions like this all the time; “How do I pick th
- Mail Theft Monday – 12/18/17
With Christmas around the corner and mail thieves being more proactive that ever around this season, Chino police are placing GPS tracking devices ins
- Holiday Mail Theft Prevention
With the big Holiday season around the corner, mail thieves are going to be pulling more stunts and attempting to steal mail and packages from you and
- Mail Theft Monday – 10/30/17
Burglars arrested for mail theft in Summit KUTV – 10/27/17 (SUMMIT COUNTY, OHIO) “Two people, identified as Natosha Louise Alvarado, 38,
- MailBoss Memorial Day Sale!
To honor the men and women who have died while valiantly serving our country, this weekend we are having our annual Memorial Day Sale. Update: hurry n
- Mail-Identity Theft | March 2016
Mail thefts continue across the nation Typically, December is the worst month for mail theft, as thieves are targeting mailboxes to steal checks and