Stolen Mail a Leading Cause of ID Theft
Identity theft is the fastest growing crime in the United States for the past 10 years, and affects over 10 million Americans each year. Mail theft is a common way that identity thieves can steal your identity, and the 60 million unlocked mailboxes in the US offer a treasure trove of opportunity for would-be identity thieves. Victims of mail theft often do not realize they have been victimized until their credit record and good name is ruined. Remedying the outcomes of fraud and identity theft requires thousands of dollars and hours of your time. This section provides information about the prevalence of mail and identity theft, and the precautions you can take to protect yourself and your name.
Identity Theft on the Rise
Did You Know?
- More than 1 in 20 Americans are victims of ID theft each year
- ID theft is the fastest growing crime in the nation
- Only 35% of ID theft victims know how their info was compromised
- The majority of known ID theft is perpetuated via low-tech methods: stolen wallets, stolen mail and stolen trash.
- Mail theft is highly under-reported because most people don’t realize when their mail has been stolen
Mail-Identity Theft Maps
Click on a marker to view the incident and learn more.
|Mail theft warning|
|Mail-ID theft arrest|
December 2015 thru February 2016
Mail Identity Theft & Consumer Information
- Holiday Mail Theft Prevention
With the big Holiday season around the corner, mail thieves are going to be pulling more stunts and attempting to steal mail and packages from you and
- Mail Theft Monday – 10/30/17
Burglars arrested for mail theft in Summit KUTV – 10/27/17 (SUMMIT COUNTY, OHIO) “Two people, identified as Natosha Louise Alvarado, 38,
- MailBoss Memorial Day Sale!
To honor the men and women who have died while valiantly serving our country, this weekend we are having our annual Memorial Day Sale. Update: hurry n
- Mail-Identity Theft | March 2016
Mail thefts continue across the nation Typically, December is the worst month for mail theft, as thieves are targeting mailboxes to steal checks and
- Mail-Identity Theft: February 2016
Mail thieves aggressively targeting mailboxes nationwide Typically, December is the worst month for mail theft, as thieves are targeting mailboxes to
- Oasis Jr Mailboxes Pried Open in Sammamish
According to this report from KOMO, residents in Sammamish have been victimized by a rash of mail thefts, and thieves are targeting locking mailboxes.
- Mail-Identity Theft: January 2016
Mail thieves plague nation, even after the holidays Typically, December is the worst month for mail theft, as thieves are targeting mailboxes to steal
- Oasis Jr Mailboxes Pried Open in Anchorage
According to this report from KTUU, residents in South Anchorage say mail theft has been happening since November, and it’s only getting worse:
- Holiday Mail-ID Theft: December 2015
December is always a bad month for mail theft. One of the joys of the holiday season… as thieves are on the prowl for gift cards and easy pickings i
- Oasis Jr Mailboxes Targeted in Recent Mailbox Burglaries
Updated Dec. 15 Consumers across the nation are becoming aware of the stolen mail-identity theft connection and purchasing locking mailboxes for prote