Continued Mail Thefts in Nassau County, Florida – October 31th, 2018
Help Prevent Mail Theft – Stay Vigilant!
Recently in Nassau County, Florida residents have been dealing with a rash of mail thefts. The thieves are supposedly simply opening the mailboxes and stealing everything from bills, bank statements and even medications.
The USPS is currently investigating the thefts in the Wilson Neck area and reminds everyone there are several steps citizens can take to protect themselves and their mail.
It’s always best to take proactive steps to keep your mail and identity safe from would-be thieves, and purchasing a Mail Boss locking security mailbox is a great first step!
Here are some preemptive measures you can take to protect yourself from mail and identity theft –
- Purchase and install a robust locking mail box, such as a Mail Boss curbside or wall-mount
- Carry your cards and information in an RFID-blocking wallet or purse
- Use different passwords for your online accounts, especially email as it is the way in which all passwords for other accounts are recovered
- Enable two-step authorizations on available online accounts, especially email
- Never give your passwords to anybody
- Don’t fall victim to phone call and email scams. Disregard anything that seems suspicious and inquire directly with the association or business that is claimed.
- Never send sensitive outgoing mail in your mail box. Outgoing mail is never secure unless shipped directly from a post-office.
- Consider starting a neighborhood watch program. By exchanging work and vacation schedules with trusted friends and neighbors you can watch each other’s mailboxes (as well as homes).
- Tell your Post Office when you’ll be out of town, so they can hold your mail until you return
- Opt out of credit card offers and junk mail
Leave a Comment